Innovations for Food Security: The Business of Sustainable Land and Water Management
- Tears ( Lagrimas )
- (Media / Tears ( Lagrimas ))
- Safe Water in Sri Lanka
- (Media / Safe Water in Sri Lanka)
- The Seventh Video on Community Water Supply Management
- (Media / The Seventh Video on Community Water Supply Management)
At the first of TheWaterChannel Webinars, Dr. Frank van Steenbergen presents an overview of “where we are” in terms of land and water management, in the context of water & food security. From eight case studies-- from Burkina Faso, Niger, Ethiopia, China, Yemen, Iran, Thailand and India—he draws four main lessons:
- Large scale transformation of landscapes is possible, even as concerns of resource degradation abound almost universally.
- There is a need to develop better land and water buffers, in order to extend the chain of water uses.
- More people and more livestock could mean more food security (and not necessarily depletion of land and water resources)
- On-field innovations offer hope that it is possible to meet the great challenge of food and water security.
Organised by TheWaterChannel along with its partners Cap-Net and UNESCO-IHE, the webinars are being facilitated by IFAD and EU FP-7 WAHARA project. Click here to access resources related to this particular webinar.
- Categories: Agriculture